29 January 2008

Portraits

Portrait photography has been around since the invention and popularization of the camera, and is a cheaper and often more accessible method than portrait painting, which had been used by distinguished figures before the use of the camera.

The goal of portrait photography is to capture the likeness of a person or a small group of people, typically in a flattering manner. Like other types of portraiture, the focus of photograph is the person's face, although the entire body and the background may be included.



Thanks to Helen Cook & Wayne Yeaman whom I work with for letting me take their photos.

These were taken today at work. I thought i'd try taking a few photos of people this time. I'm not used to portraiture so this is all a learning curve for me. Wayne was at the time on the telephone taking a call from a client. It's a shame his eyes were looking down. Helen however sat and did a pose for me. So I have one natural and one posed photo in different colour format (mono with a little film grain added & colour with no grain). Any advice is gratefully received.

Settings
  • Camera Olympus E500
  • Lens Zuiko Digital 50mm macro
  • Portrait Mode
  • ISO-200
  • Focal Length - 50mm

Oh and before i forget i've managed to get back on to Flickr so if you want to see more of my work then follow the link at the side.

No comments: